Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Busty Valentine: part two

(This was originally written for the Train Wreck blog, here, on 13 February 2012. It had two comments, which are now sadly orphaned on the original post.)

I tracked down a wonderful pair of articles, from the perspective of someone who enthusiastically supports prim breasts, reviewing the major brands. Part one and part two both cover the pros, criticize the cons, and give an overall rating based on her criteria (she prefers a more "natural" busty look, over an artificially inflated one).

As far as I can tell, Lola's not only has zero Marketplace presence, but no way to get demos. Even worse? She wants L$1250 for either of her two styles. I checked out everything in her main store, and nothing. Not even a 'click here for notecard on how to get a demo' board.

So, yeah...well over a thousand Lindens in cost, with no demo to try it out first? Good luck with that.

Also, in the exhaustive hours of researching prim breasts on the Marketplace, I can now say there is a staggeringly huge (*coughs* Oh...gods...I am so sorry about that one) gap in busty fashions--namely, vintage and medieval/fantasy wear. So far I've found one Victorian-esque blouse (with unfortunate short sleeves, though neatly drawn detailing) and one medieval gown. Both come in a small assortment of colors, and are reasonably priced, but seriously? That's it?

Well, no, there's something called "Implant Armor" from Lavarock Industries, and something called "Sexy Warrior" chainmail, and there's a...kimono...ish...sorta thing (with another version in the same...almost-kimono style...in green, instead of shades of blue). There's at least one sari, in red with gold trim (though it does come in a few other shades), and one mostly-prim, mostly-gold set of silks. (I don't really count silks under medieval, Victorian or fantasy, though; I pretty much count them as lingerie or just exotic dancing attire.)

There's also this cocktail dress, that comes in a few different tones, but again, that's more modern vintage, not Victorian. The skirt could be lengthened, most likely, but it's still sleeveless.

And yes, I know, I'm picky, but I make no apologies for this next one--if it's made out of latex it does not count as vintage, medieval, or fantasy attire. Period. (While we're still discussing fashion, if you're referring to a damp, partially sheer tank top [and the breasts naturally found underneath] as "Wet Chupacabras"...something has gone seriously wrong with your marketing. Flat out.)

So, on to the hunt. Earlier today, I gathered up finances, and--based solely on the cost, I do admit--bought a pair of iBoobs' "Neo Naturals". The "Neo Naturals" feature a more natural, less "rounded" slope to the breasts themselves, which I find again, better visually than the overfilled "bubble" style of other companies.

They feature:
  • growth, scaling, and shrinking options (the scaling goes from "please don't fall over" to "planetary", but the shrinking and growth options seem slightly more sedate)
  • particle milk options
  • 'tear-off' tops
  • eight different built-in tops if you have textures to go over them
  • over one hundred different skin tones, some with smaller nipples, some with larger ones
  • compatible with MCI, eCorp, and eBoobs' appliers
Then began the somewhat exhaustive process of matching prim skin to base skin. For this shoot, I've chosen AzA Zymurgy's "Death" skin. (I have no idea where, if anywhere, he's retailing things now.) Of note: there are 102 skin tones in the iBoobs skin line, so there are lots of matching options...if I wanted dark skin, deeply tanned skin, if I were a panda (or a tuxedo kitty), or if I were a cream-toned cheetah. Unfortunately, I felt more drawn to gothic skins, so skin tone 79 was my closest match. My two strong dislikes: first, the breasts don't seem to go much smaller, so I've had to both edit a copy directly to squeeze them onto my frame (because I wasn't that interested in changing shapes presently), then edit the base shape I was using anyway, because they still looked disproportional to my frame.

I think this is where most of the prim breasts hatred comes from on the grid, frankly--women who don't edit their shapes before putting on prim breasts. To carry these (and these are not massively oversized, btw--this is about as close to "modest" as I could make them), my base shape has wider shoulders, slightly longer arms, larger hands, longer, plumper hips, a slightly shortened neck, and a more rounded butt. They're small changes, mainly, but they seem to work better for me, visually.

The second thing is more a personal note, I believe--why is it that nearly all of the gothic skins on the grid have dark nipples? If the rest of the skin's that pale, I just don't get it. All the iBoobs' gothic skin selections featured nipples the color of chocolate, and it's just freaky-looking.

And for all of the shots today (barring the Bad Kitty dress), I'm wearing Discord Designs' "Lara" ponytail in Jet, the departed Muze's "Mehndi" jeans in black, Miriel's "Standard" eyes in Platinum (also sadly departed), SN@TCH's "Mufkin" black velvet pumps, and Silent Sparrow's "Rook 03" Knitty socks. And if it matters, I'm using the Windlight setting "Midday 1".

(from the Busty album)

So first up: Tw@ttyC@ke's "Sweetheart" corset. It has a cute pattern of candy hearts on a pink background with a sheer, black lace center insert, and the included applier works neatly, and matches up the side seams nearly invisibly. Obviously, as a corset with that lace panel, this is not intended for streetwear.

(from the Busty album)

This is it from the side, and the seams are good, the lining up was easy to do, and it looks great overall.

(from the Busty album)

Second: the "Kissed" corset (which was the second gift from the starting point shop). This one has repeating lip prints in pink and red on a black background, with the same black lace insert. Again, while this one took some physical adjusting of the prim breasts themselves, it lines up fairly well, and matches the clothing-layer corset nicely.

This is, again, a shot from the front...

(from the Busty album)

...and here's the shot from the side, to show the practically invisible seams, and the smooth line between the textured prim-breast cups, and the base corset layer.

Store #2 was Bad Kitty, and that's where I'm stopping, because this entry is getting long.

Bad Kitty's offering is a short black slip dress named "Pride", with a repeating pattern of open-scroll hearts in red, and tiny hearts in between in pale pink. It features side slits and spaghetti straps, and therein lies the problem. While the skirt prim was easily adjusted, there was literally zero way to adjust the spaghetti straps so they would line up. I tried, believe me. This just isn't wearable.

The front:

(from the Busty album)

Did it not have those jarring, unfixable straps, this would be very nicely made.

The side:

(from the Busty album)

It might be possible to better line up the cups with the side seams, but I fully admit to giving up because nothing will fix the spaghetti straps.

The rear:

(from the Busty album)

And herein lies the greater tragedy, because this entire outfit could have been saved if the prim cups layer had not had straps. If you leave those off, and just have the straps on the base layer, this dress would work!

And just look how pretty it is from the back. It's a damned shame that it doesn't work from the front.

To come in future coverage from this hunt: I finally managed to track down a demo for the VStrings breasts, so I'll be covering those features, and I still haven't found Aphrodite, but I'll keep looking. Also, the Bad Kitty dress offered coverage for a ton of prim breast makers, including some I hadn't heard of, so yes, the coverage will change shop to shop, I'm thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment